Thursday, November 02, 2006

Opportunities

My kids fascinate me on almost a daily basis. Today we were learning the present continuous tense and I feared it would be too much for them but they took it like champs and I can see more confidence in them. Now they can have even better conversations with me in English. I’m just having so much fun with them now. I’m really going to miss them when I leave.
In other news, I had a weird breakfast this morning. I have the same thing pretty much every morning but today something just wasn’t sitting right and I had that odd feeling. There is only one thing that can cure stomach problems (or in some cases a really bad hangover) and that’s Mc Donald’s. So today instead of going to the restaurant for lunch as we have been doing everyday, I opted to go to Mc D’s. I sat there alone, thinking about whatever and not really eating my fries but out of the corner of my eye, I could see this girl sitting a few chairs away from me, looking in my direction. I’ve pretty much gotten used to the staring so I didn’t think much of it. After about 15 mins of her doing that, I guess she got up the courage and started to write a note. She slid it across the table to me and it said, “Excuse me. May I talk with you?” I said sure and invited her over to sit with me. We did our introductions and I discovered that she was a university student, was trying to learn English and it was her birthday. She’s twenty. She was the cutest little thing. I told her about me and she had the look of “Yay, I hit the jackpot. She’s an English teacher at a school not too far from here” We spoke to each other for a while, sometimes in Chinese and sometimes in English and sometimes we had to write things down. Many Chinese people have a problem with oral English. They can write the language but to speak it, they find this difficult. For us, it’s the opposite, once we get the hang of it, we can speak Chinese well but to write it, is a task none of us are ever to eager to get to. Anyway, her and I exchanged phone numbers and I gave her an English name as my birthday gift to her. She expressed to me that this was the best birthday she could ever have. I told her that in a couple of weeks, I’ll bring her over to the apartments and she could meet some of the other teachers. She also told me that I was the first foreigner she had ever spoken to. Anyway, we talked for a while longer and soon I told her I had to leave. I told her to call whenever and we’ll hook up at the Mc D’s again. She seemed very happy. Now I have little Melanie to mould as my protégée. I think her and I would have a lot of fun together and we can also learn from each other. We’ll see how it goes.


TTFN

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey honey...i'm a little worried about you being sick. i just wante to tell you that mould is very dangerous and can kill you. you need to talk to mr. ye (or who every is in charge of housing) and get the building clear of mould, and you should see a doctor. i was rerally sick when i was young from mould and it killed my immunin system (took me almost 6 years to get better and still now when i get sick i get really sick) i would have called you lol but it's 12 at night for you love you
take care ~ mandee

10:51 a.m.  
Blogger Tish said...

Thanks Mandee, I am aware of the dangers of mold nad this is why i cleaned the hell out of my place. i could have gotten them to do it but chances are it would be worse instead of better. i trust myself more. thanks for your concern. i should be fine though

9:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home