Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The orange sun is seen twice

Ok, Friday night was nice. We had our potluck and everything was good. Colin and Lisa had Kraft dinner sent to them a while ago and they made that as their contribution. Kraft dinner has got to be the Canadian delicacy and I gotta tell ya, it was probably one of the best things on the table. It felt so good to be eating that and enjoying it with friends. Anyway, I only had a couple beers and I didn’t stay up too late. We had a good time. Later in the evening, Mustafa and Matty stix showed up and told us that the gatekeeper could hear the noise we were making. Yet again. This time we weren’t even on the roof. I gotta be honest, I really miss the frathouse. We could make all the noise in the world and it wouldn’t make a difference. No one ever came down to keep us quiet. Anyway, some of the group went out to party but I had to decline. When my alarm went off on Saturday morning, I almost died. I got myself together, made some coffee and headed out to catch my ride. The driver had to make a few stops and I thought to myself that I have lived a good life in Wuhan. He took many back streets but then would end up in a part of town that I either knew or have been to before. I felt proud that I knew the town so well and there was almost no place that I could go to and not be able to find my way back home. It really made me feel good. Anyway, I watched the sun rise from the car and once we got to parts of town I didn’t know I realized that it took us 1.5 hours to get to our destination. And that’s 1.5 hours out of town. Anyway, we finally get there and we stopped for breakfast. I was in a town called Huang Pi (hwang pee) and by the looks of this town they don’t get too many foreigners. Even less than Wuhan. In fact, this woman almost crashed her car into the curb because she was so distracted at staring at me. Anyway, I taught the lessons and was exhausted the entire time but did my best to keep the kids learned and entertained. I got paid my money and then had to wait over 2 hours before my ride was ready. I was ex-haus-ted. On the way back home the sun was setting. Again the orange sun stood in the sky and smiled at me. I got home just in time to get ready for bed. I wanted to go out but there was no force that would make me. Then at 3am, Klaver woke me up and forced me to drink with him. We watched some TV and then he left. Then he returned at 7am and bothered me some more and then went back to bed. My body clock was all messed up on Sunday but I managed. Then I got the surprise of a lifetime. I was doing stuff on my computer and I hear someone calling my name in the common area outside my door. I opened the door in a huff and was shocked to see Nick. Apparently he came over as per Russell’s request. It was so good to see him and get that dose of dry British humour that only he can give. We chatted there for a while and he met some of the newbies. I told him not to be a stranger and I look forward to seeing him again. Later that day on Sunday, Colin, Matty stix and I jammed on our guitars. It was an awesome session. Colin is so talented and he’s even going to help me put some words to the song that I wrote. I was looking forward to it being a normal week, which it has started off to be. Although today we have a meeting with the PSB (Public Safety Bureau) and were gonna have someone talk to us in chinglish for an hour or two (a little word we made up for the broken half English half Chinese that is used by some and sometimes all) about not being drunken in the streets. Translation: snooze fest 2006.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home