Wednesday, October 11, 2006

No time, no posting.

Ok, I would like to say that this won’t be a thorough update, to be honest it will just be covering what I remember till this point. My holiday week was pretty ok. I spent most of the time just getting things together in my room and doing some more unpacking. I tried to keep my holiday uneventful. Matty stix and the others were in Shanghai. The boys were in Hu Dong Shan and it was just myself, Lillis and Eileen at the apartments. We did a few things together but for the most part we kept to ourselves. On Friday I met up with Winnie and Eileen and we had a girls evening of window-shopping, a little shopping and then going out for dinner. I knew that if I didn’t call Winnie during the holiday, she would never let me hear the end of it. She already guilt tripped me when she said that she invited me to have dinner with her family for the holiday and I had to turn her down because I had made plans to go to Carrefour. Anyway, we got home and the boys were pre-drinking to get ready for their boys’ night out. By the time we got in the room, they were already hammered. I was happy that they had the night and they were able to go out and have a good time and then make it back safely but I have to admit, I was a bit concerned when I saw their condition before they even left the house. At one point I was even concerned for my own safety in a small room with these guys and them being very unstable on their feet. Anyway, Eileen and I ended up spending the evening together. We just had a few beers and watched some TV. On the Saturday nothing much happened since we all had to work the next day.
Sunday morning was hard and many of us have noticed that over the past couple weeks, we’ve been having a hard time getting a good night’s sleep. Everyone, including myself, just feels so ragged on almost a daily basis. Then I had the roof almost cave in on me... literally. Apparently there was a leak coming from upstairs and it came through my light. The cover for my light filled up with water and eventually fell down. Luckily this happened while I was at work and not while I was sleeping in bed but all the water fell on my bed leaving it soaked right through the mattress. This was discovered on Monday night. There was nothing I could do and it was too late for me to get anyone to help me. I had to get Klaver to put me up for the night and sleep with him in his bed. For those of you wondering…nothing happened. We just slept. Very non-restful sleep. I don’t think either of us got a good night. I talked to Mr Ye the next day and was almost in tears about the situation. He was great getting me a new mattress and ensuring that someone took care of the issue. I have a new mattress now but I haven’t moved my bed back under the light yet since I’m afraid that the leaking will continue or return. Anyway, the past few days have been hard. I never feel like I’m getting a good night sleep no matter how late or early I get to bed but I think it has something to do with the fact that we’re working harder this year than we did last year. Plus I’m working those extra classes for kindergarten. The kindergarten classes are actually working quite well. At first I was pissed that I was the only teacher working 2 days a week but now I’ve come to realize that this is a blessing. While the kids are very cute and I love being with them, doing that 4 days a week would make me go crazy.
Anyway, back at the school, we didn’t do anything for Thanksgiving Day other than say happy thanksgiving since we were all very tired. We do have a potluck planned for Friday to commemorate the day but even on that day I can’t do much. Winnie told me that a friend of hers needed an English teacher for a few hours on Saturday, so I’m going to take the job. I’m hoping it is only this one time, as I couldn’t see myself doing that every Saturday. They’ll come pick me up at 7am and take me out there. I get paid pretty well too.
Things at the apartments are all about the same. We love hanging out with each other and have become a little odd family of sorts. Also, I have finally made my decision. I thought it over many a night and always woke up with the same response. I want to stay but I have to go. And go I shall. Come February, I’ll be on my way back to Canada. Now if you ask Klaver, I am apparently staying. According to him, I’m not going anywhere, but I know I’m leaving, he’s just not too sure. I have made up my mind and it’s the right decision. Also, if you talk to Lisa, she has already made up her mind to hate the teacher that takes my place. What can I say? It’s good to know that I’ll be missed and how these guys feel before I go, so that I’m not at home wondering, “do they miss me?”
Anyway, we’ll see how the events go on Friday night and I’ll see how this job goes on Saturday morning. Saturday night though, all bets are off. I’m going out.
TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home