Tuesday, October 17, 2006

First time ever

Yesterday I spoke with a parent for the first time. I have a kid in one of my grade one classes. His name is Jerry and he is the devil incarnate. He can never sit still. He walks around the class. Even when he is being punished with standing at the back or the front of the class, he takes this as his "I can now do whatever I want time" I've never wanted to kill a child as badly as I want to kill him. Anyway, Kelly and I have a hard time keeping this kid in order. So he was put out in the hallway as punishment and took this time to open and close the door repeatedly. This of course disturbed the other students and in turn I got furious and yelled at him. The other kids laughed and then he went home and told his parents that I yelled at him and the other students laughed at him. They were in the next day. They gave Kelly so much heat. I didn't know who they were at the time but then the father came over to the office and gestured that he wanted to talk to me. His english wasn't bad but then he asked me what I had to say about Jerry. I laid it all on the line. I said that he never pays attention. His tests are not great, he walks around the class and disturbs the other children and I can never get him to listen. The father said that I should try talking to him and maybe that'll work. While the father and I had this converstaion, Jerry was running all over the place. I even pointed out to the father that this is what this kid does in my class and if the father couldn't control him now, then what am I supposed to do when class time comes around. I have 44 other students who want to learn and he's preventing that from happening. Still the father said that I should talk to him. Then I said that if I took the time to talk to Jerry every time he did something wrong, I would spend the entire class doing that and then no one will learn. Anyway, the father's solution to my problem was still that I shoould talk to him. Anyway , he gave me his cell phone number and told me that if there was a problem, I should call him. I told him that ultimately I needed his help in talking to Jerry and he needs to let him know that what he is doing in class is wrong. The father conveniently had nothing to say about that comment I made but I did tell him that if this talking thing doesn't work I will be calling him. Then later I spoke to Kelly and she told me that the parents made her apologize to the kid. Which bascally sends the message to him that what he is doing in class is ok. So we'll see how things go. If he starts up again, I'm calling the father and Kelly and I will be talking to Mr Ye. Atleast at that time, we can tell Mr Ye that we had this talk with the parents already, we tried what they suggested and it didn't work.... what do we do now? With the way this kid is, I definitely see that happening. The only thing is, I don't know what Mr Ye will do. If this kid's parents are "important people" then the typical chinese fear will come into play and I'll be stuck with this kid and not be able to do anything with him or about the situation.
I'll keep you posted

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home