Saturday, September 16, 2006

No regrets

Well the week went by fine. On Wednesday we had a meeting about the policies and procedures and also there was a break down of the semester. It looks like I might possibly work till the technical end of my contract but I think I might be able to squeeze in a few days to go to Thailand still. Plus with the way things break down I'd still have time for my dad to come and he could have a good visit.
On Thursday I met up with one of my chinese friends. Her name is Mickey and she used to work on the main floor of the post office. It made my life easier if I ever needed aything done. Just mailing things in general or sometimes if I had to go to Western Union to pick up any money. Now she works upstairs so I don't see her anymore and I can't use her help. I have to fend for myself as it were. But she knew I was back in town, sent a letter to the school and I called her to hook up. We met for lunch on Thursday and had a good time. Catching up and laughing. she hadn't practiced her english in a while so she was a bit rusty but a few more lunches with me and she'd be fine. She still works at the same building but just upstairs. From what I understand she got a promotion.
On Friday we made plans to have a pot luck. We were gonna put our two dinning tables on the roof and have a big thing. The evening turned out great. Matty stix and I made sure to let everyone know that we had hoped that they would be a good bunch. We figured after the sisters, we could only go up from there since they were so horrible. These new teahers are a great bunch. Anyway, on the roof, by candle light and surprisingly under the stars (I've never seen the stars in China before until that night) we ate, drank and sang. Then our singing apparently got out of control and the neighbourhood security called Mr Ye to come down and tell us to keep it down. This was at about 10:30pm. We all felt really bad for Mr Ye. We apologized profusely, and even offered to pay Mr Ye's cab fare back. We know that he lost face having to do that. Chinese people are really big on this face losing thing. Basically it comes off as, he has to come down because his foreigners are out of control. The new kids were worried, thinking that there was a possibility of them losing their jobs. I spent alot of the night convincing them that it was ok. It would probably not be mentioned again and no one would lose their job. We were all up there. Besides, the first one is free. If we made a habit of that every weekend, then this is when it would become a problem. Nonetheless, American Alex sent Mr Ye an email of apology.
Saturday was a mellow day for me. I spent most of the day in my room and last night I hung out with the guys watching some TV. Today I'm gonna put some tests together for my classes, maybe I'll go to the school to mark some books (depends on how I feel) and then I'll see what I want to do for dinner. So that's the update.
** Before I go any further with my posts, I feel I should introduce every one:
Well you all know Matty stix, Roy, Angela, Lills and Russell. The new people are the following;
- American Matt and his brother American Alex
- Alex from Canada who is known as Klaver on account of his last name
- Maya from Quebec
- Colin and Lisa from BC
- Then there is a new girl Eileen that came on Thursday night and she's from New Jersey
Because we have 2 Matts and 2 Alexs we always have to define them when we talk about them. Matty stix is sometimes referred to as my Matt as I would say it or your Matt as other people would say it. American Matt is just as it is. American Alex is just that and Canadian Alex is Klaver to make life easier for us all. For my blog, it'll break down like this
American Matt is Matt
Canadian Matt is Matty stix
American Alex is Alex
Canadian Alex is Klaver

TTFN

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe your too funny!!!!
Mandee aka canadian mandee

9:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe you to funny!!!
mandee aka canadian mandee

9:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Canadian Mandee. I have to keep that in mind because I have a Chinese Mandy with me here. One of my students.

10:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home