Sunday, April 16, 2006

There is a strong possibility that I'm getting too old for this

Ok, so I managed to make it out to that school and had to tell Herman to shut up several times. He just talks and talks and talks. It is quite annoying. So far I've been out to the school twice already. He called me once while I was on the bus to figure out where I was. I told him I was on my way. Then as I was waking up to the school he called me again. "Oh Litisha. I think you may be lost. Where are you. I am waiting for you" I ended up yelling at him "I live in Wuhan and I've been here twice already! I'm not lost! I'm just walking up to the school now!" He kept talking and I just hung up the phone. I know it was rude but I couldn't take his voice anymore. Anyway, they were paying me Y100 an hour and I would work for an hour and a half, ultimately walking away with Y150 at the end of the class. Well I told him for the trouble it costed me to get out there (40 minutes by bus) I wasn't going to do it for less that Y150 an hour, which would give me Y225 at the end of the class. He tried to convince me that they only pay their part-time teachers a maximum of Y100. So then I turned the tables on him. He kept telling me over and over before that I was a very good teacher and how I could be so helpful for them and even changed the schedule to accommodate me. He was saying this to convince me to stay. So then I said that if I was such a good teacher and all this then I would be worth the Y150 an hour. Anyway he came to me at the end of class and said that he would pay me Y200 for the 90 minute class. It was Y25 less than what I wanted but atleast I got closer to what I wanted.
Anyway after I left him I met Jada and some friends of hers. Carolyn, Kari, Liz and Brandon. Really great people. I took them to Giano's and they were so amazed at the menu selection and then in heaven once they got the food. I know that Jane (the owner) was really happy that I brought some more clientele in. Anyway, we started off the night with really good food and then some vodka shots. After a few of those we started to slow down and get a bit tired so we got our bills and headed out to Vox.
We had a really great time. The music was bumping and I once again had that feeling of almost not being in China. One of the girls was freaking out because she hadn't been around so many foreigners since maybe before she left Canada but she got drunk so she soon got over it. I had quite a few drinks as well but I think since it had been my third night in a row, my liver processed alcohol faster and I really didn't get very drunk. Maybe just a bit tipsy. Anyway for the most part I was on the dance floor all night but then I would sit out every other song. Then I would sit out 2 or 3 songs at a time. Then I just sat there. After I felt I had enough and I looked at my watch and saw that it was almost 4am and the cub would be closing soon anyway, I decided that it was time for me to go home. So now I've made some new friends whom I said goodbye to and made my way to my beloved frat house and my bed. It was just after 4am when I got home.
(Just as a side note; thinking about my upbringing and living in a place like Toronto. Everyone knows that the city is very diverse. There are many different types of people etc. I always felt that I had known alot of people from different races, cultures, backgrounds and countries. I believe that I have met more people from different parts of the world here in China than I have in all my years living in Toronto. I guess many people come to China for different reasons but we (and by we I mean us foreigners) all come together and share in the fact that we are "aliens" or strangers in this country. We have a commonality that we probably wouldn't have acknowledged if we met anywhere else - like Toronto - there would be no need for us to try to bond because seeing someone from another culture or country at a club is all very common place in western culture. It was just something that occurred to me that I felt I should share with you)
Anyway, I was able to wake up this morning and made it to english corner. I promised John and Jane that I would be there so I knew I would feel very bad if I disappointed them. Besides it was a nice day out so I had no excuses. Anyway I made it there and my chinese friends were surprised and happy to see me. Anyway, I was beginning to get so tired that I had to leave them early. They understood and the important thing was, that I made my appearance. Anyway, that 6 o'clock bedtime that I was going for isn't going to happen but it is almost 10:30 and I'll be going to bed now. The sucky thing is that I have to get up earlier than normal tomorrow because I have to do the sentence of the week. Oh, how I hate that thing.
In other news, I would like to take the time to say Happy Easter to everyone. I had to be reminded that that was actually today. Unfortunately, living in China is like living in the Bermuda triangle. You have no clue of what is going on outside of this world.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home