Thursday, March 23, 2006

Let's state the obvious!!

On Tuesday we had a meeting with the PSB. This is the Public Security Bureau. Basically a police run division that specializes in foreigners in China. This meeting was such a waste of everyone's time. It was the kind of meeting we should have had in maybe the first 2 weeks or even 30 days of us being in China. Not now after being here for 6 months. This woman gave us some info that was so beyond stating the obvious that it almost made me laugh out loud. Then there were some other points that were just a bit on the ridiculous side.
For example, when staying at a friends' house overnight (a chinese friend), you have to let the police know and fill out a form accordingly. Something about a temporary accommodation form. Yeah, I don't see that happening. Then they said that we had to carry our passports with us everytime we left the school grounds and it couldn't be a copy. Well, I don't think so. If I had my passport with me the day my purse got stolen.....where the heck would I be right now? That's right, up shit creek and definitely no paddles. Then she says, if your passport should get stolen, all you have to do is contact them, fill out a form and then take that to our embassy and you'll be all set. Oh! Well it sounds so easy when you put it like that, but I don't think so. I know for a fact, it won't be that easy. Heck, it was hard enough and long enough to get the passport in the first place in my homeland. Do we really think it would be that easy now that I'm in bizarro world??
Another thing she mentioned was that we shouldn't be publicly drunk. Actually the way she put it was "don't be druken in the streets". She said that because apparently they had had some problems in the past with foreigners getting drunk and causing problems with people, cab drivers etc. Well if I can't get drunk, then neither can chinese people. A drunk person is a drunk person no matter who they are. Then she said that we should be nice and courteous to chinese people. Well I will, as soon as they are nice to me and stop staring. So that was my two cents about that meeting. A waste of time but worthy enough for me to bitch about it on my soap box.
That's the news, now in weather. Things have been almost steady. Early mornings start off sunny and then by 8:30 it gets overcast. The days are not as cold as they were before but I still have to wear a sweater, but only a sweater. Today, seems to be looking up and the sun may last but who knows for sure. I can't wait for it to really warm up so I could go back to t-shirts and shorts and skirts and sandals. I'm tired of socks and long pants and sweaters.
This weekend should be low key, although Matty stix, Annaick and I will be going out to party on Saturday night. Just to celebrate life. Hopefully I can make it to English corner on Sunday, since I haven't been there in a while.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home