Sunday, March 26, 2006

It's a blur

Well Saturday night. What can I say. I got really drunk.
First things first. Annaick was acting weird and Matt and I took the position of, we're not going to beg her. If she wants to come, she should come. Anyway, we got into a little thing but she ended up coming out with us. Matt and I started the drinking early so by the time we got to Hankou we were already buzzing. We decided to go to the Thai restaurant for dinner but before that we would go to Cafe Brussel for drinks. Yay, I love drinks. So we got there. Had a quick drink and then waked 10 minutes to the Thai restaurant. Dinner was really good and Annaick and I split a bottle of wine. Then we caught a cab to Soho which was about 5 mins away and a really awesome bar. Well by this time, I was in perfect form. Met some chinese people who shared their liquor with me, plus I had a few whiskeys of my own. I was dancing, dancing, dancing. Then there was this little mini stage. Maybe just enough for 2 people to stand on and there was a pole on it. Well I took this as my stage and the pole was mine as well. I wouldn't go into too much detail but I had a spot light on me and I was the center of attention. Don't worry mom, I didn't do anything that would make you dis-own me but I had alot of fun. Heck even Matt came up there and we danced together.
Well after a few hours there, we decided to head out. Grabbed a cab and started to tell the driver to take us home. However, on the way Annaick said we should go to Blue Sky Hankou since we were in town and not too far away. I was still in a party mood (ofcourse) but by the time we got there, Matt was out for the count and decided to take that cab home. Annaick and I tried to persuade him to come but he wanted to go home. Anyway, at Blue Sky, Annaick met some of her friends and we partied some more. We even got there just in time for happy hour so I ordered a few more drinks. I know I danced, I know I drank but I have absolutely no clue what time we left there. Anyway, I guess after a few hours we left and headed home. I don't even remember walking into my room but I woke up on Sunday with a monster headache.
Now Sunday, I promised Herman that I would come and teach his class in that demo lesson. I really didn't think I should have been there but a promise is a promise. I sucked it up and headed out. It was a nice warm day so that made things easier. Anyway, I got there, we went over what I would talk about and then I entered the class. The students looked petrified. No matter what I did or what I asked, they all just sat there. Then about 30 mins into it, I said "Ok, I'm getting the opportunity to practice my english and you aren't. I'm doing all the talking and you should." They were all still a little stunned. Then I asked if I was the first foreigner they had ever seen. They said no and that they have spoken to other foreigners. Then I asked why they wouldn't speak to me and they replied that they were nervous. I said " You're nervous???! I'm the one standing in front of 20 strangers. You all know each other and I'm only one stranger" They started to loosen up a bit and then I jumped in and shook the hands of all the kids, introducing myself to each of them. They were in shock, some of them laughing out of embarrassment, some just laughing. Now the ice was broken and they all felt a little better. Then I said "Ok, no we all know each other. We are all friends. We shouldn't be nervous anymore" After that, they participated a bit more and things moved smoother.
After the class, Herman paid me the amount we agreed and then on our walk for me to get a cab back home, he kept pushing me to take over these Sunday classes. I kept telling him no but he insisted that if I could make the class today, then I can do it every Sunday. Then he really started pouring it on thick and saying that the students like me (which there is no real way to tell. I've only spent 90 minutes with them) and next week they will be asking for me. What will he tell the students? I thought this was a low blow, using the students against me like that. I stuck to me guns and told him no. Then he said that he can sign me on as a permanent part time teacher and have me booked for the days I told him, but if I give him those days as my availability, then I have to make sure that I am always available at those times. For now, I don't see a problem with that. Then he told me that when I come back in September, he would like to hire me as a permanent full time teacher. Good to know that I have that in my back pocket. Atleast now I know that if this school doesn't take me back (which I'm pretty confident they will) I'll have another job lined up.
Anyway, when I got back home, I forced myself to watch TV for a couple hours then went to bed. Now I've woken up with a cold and bruises on my knee from pole dancing and I have no clue how I'm gonna make it through this day or even this week.
In other news, Matthew referred me to a friend of his who knows a girl that needs a foreign female voice to do some recording. The job pays Y500 for 3-4 hours. I spoke to Chris (Matthew's friend) today and I'll be doing it on Wednesday. Not too shabby.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home