Monday, March 13, 2006

That's what they all say, they all say d'oh

Well not very much actually “happened” but prepare yourselves for a long read.
First, in news. I started with my new co-teacher Eva on Monday. Her English is quite good and she is very pleasant. Thankfully I only have her for one class. Class D and they are a fairly good class. No major problems and I can keep the troublemakers under control. However, once they realized that Lily was no longer there, they went crazy and were very difficult to control. So much so, that I had to tell them to stop and make them all go to sleep. I don’t think Eva was given the full run down of what was expected of her. After I told her that the kids were just a bit too excited, I guess it occurred to her that the class shouldn’t be that way. She also spoke to them with more English than Chinese and it was English that they didn’t know. Heck, this is the reason why she’s there, to translate my English not to speak to them in English. Anyway, after that class I told her that she had to translate what I was saying because the kids don’t understand anything other than what I’ve taught them. She gave me ok ok ok. Then we moved on to the next class. She translated more but she still left much to be desired. I know I shouldn’t compare, but Lily and I work effortlessly. I don’t have to tell her anything and we work as a unit.
Anyway, I finally let Eva know that, not only did she have to translate, but in her translation she has to teach. Explain not only the meaning of the word or sentence or question, but also the concept of it to. She got a little better but still, we had a hard time, especially with the kids. Then I convinced Lily to come to a class and watch what was happening. Now on top of everything else, the school wanted us to change our teaching format. In a 40-minute class, they want us, the foreign teacher to teach for 30 minutes and the Chinese teacher to teach for 10. This made no sense to anyone. Lily and I agreed that with the way we taught we didn’t need those 10 minutes. Besides she may end up talking for almost the entire class for any particular lesson because when I bring up a point or new vocab or whatever, she takes her time to explain it. Eva however wanted her 10 minutes and Lily actually got mad at me when she saw that I gave it to her, but when I explained, Lily was ok with it. Then Lily asked Eva to come to the next class and watch us together. When Eva saw how we worked together and what we did and how we did it, she realized not only what she was supposed to do but also what I needed her to do. She came up to me after class and apologized and confessed that she may have given me a lot of problems during the week. I told her no and it was ok, but she still apologized. She also admitted that if we did things like that (as in the way Lily and I did things), then we didn’t need to save those 10 minutes. Today, things went pretty well. She’s not Lily but she not too far from getting there.
In other news, the school has plans for all the foreign teachers to go out to some place and plant trees. After this “fun” event we are also supposed to go to a museum. I have no clue what to expect but I think I’ll have some fun. Will take my camera too for pics. Also, just in case you are wondering, I am aware that I have to put my pics together for viewing from my trips to Hong Kong and Beijing.
Now, for the weather. Last week started off quite warm and sunny. Then on Wednesday, it started to chill up a bit and got overcast. Then Thursday got worse and Friday even worse. Cold and overcast. Friday night, Russell had a party. Just a small gathering for all the teachers to get acquainted or whatever. The turnout was horrible but I had a bottle of wine so I was too drunk to notice. After things started to die down I met up with Annaick and her French friends for more wine and some laughs.
On Saturday, a girl that used to be my co-teacher for activity, Delia, invited me to her house for lunch. I have never been to a Chinese person’s house before, so this was quite a new experience. She lives an hour away from the school by bus. Luckily, it is only one bus but it is a very long ride. The area that she is in, is a little bit like a country area but not quite. It is very quite and not very busy or populated at all. Her mom made lunch and it was very, very good. Her mom is an excellent cook. We spent most of our time just chatting and such. Then we ate and after lunch I knew, according to the culture of this area, they take a nap. So I just told her I was going to go home, even though she offered her bed. I’m not one for taking naps in the day. She was really concerned about me getting home but I assured her I would be fine. Just as I got home it started to rain and as the evening went on, it was raining even heavier.
The next morning, it was extremely cold, or so I was told. It didn’t rain but it was overcast and very cold out. I had Russell run errands for me and bring me food, so I was a lucky and happy camper but I didn’t dare venture outside. I didn’t even go to the office, even though I have 5 stacks of books to correct. I pretty much spent my entire day in front of the TV and was fed by a man willing to do my bidding.
Well the weather actually cleared up today. It wasn’t nearly as cold and it was sunny. Now we have to get ready to go on this trip tomorrow. I can’t wait to see what happens but I’m glad I got you caught up.


TTFNEarth Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home