Sunday, January 22, 2006

Jan 16th, 2006

Well everything went well. I got my plane and arrived in Guangzhou without a problem. Although I had a bit of an issue when I got there and wanted to get to the train station. I'm still thinking if I left the airport and hailed a cab outside I would have been better off but the airport taxi services bombarded me. In fact, one girl was telling me that it would cost Y450 to get to the train station. I took a big pass and told her that I would take my chances outside. When I thought I was getting an outside cab it was just another airport taxi but atleast they quoted me less at Y350, still alot and almost worth it because it is a far distance but I still think I paid too much.
Anyway, I got to the train station and hopped on the next train which was about 40 mins from departure. I ended up having a nice ride and after and hour and a half I was in Hong Kong. I walked around for a bit and marveled at the train station and the beauty of the city (from what I could see), then realized that I packed badly. I took light sweaters with me but I just could have taken t-shirts. It wasn't boiling hot but the weather was warm.
Anyway, before I took the subway to my stop, I decided to go outside for a quick smoke. There was a guy standing by the ashtray having a cigarette and playing with his phone and after standing there for a bit, I noticed that his shirt said "Canadian something or other" I had to talk to him for a bit. I didn't catch his name but he's from Saskatoon and was on his way to Guangzhou. I told him what I was doing and then we parted ways. It's always good to see a fellow country man.
About Hong Kong
Cleaner, friendlier, more people speak english, less construction, great sites, Starbucks, no bikes, awesome weather and Mc Donald's litter the streets like Tim Horton's. After I checked into my hotel I decided to do some walking around town. Being used to walking just about everywhere in Wuhan made this easy in Hong Kong and with less people pushing and shoving that made it easier. I walked all the way down this long street Nathan Rd, till I got to HK harbour. I stopped to watch the light show which was a little bit of a disappointment because I had heard and seen on TV that it was really awesome. For some reason I was expecting fireworks and music but I guess I was wrong. None the less t was still pretty cool. After that I stopped and got some really good overpriced coffee and cheese cake at Starbucks and then I walked back to the hotel.
Tomorrow I'm gonnna look for Jackie Chan's star and do a bit more site seeing. Maybe even go to the art museum or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home