Friday, December 23, 2005

Not quite

Well yesterday afternoon was pretty interesting. After school we had to meet Mr Ye for dinner. The school wanted to take the foreign teachers out. We were supposed to meet at this restaurant called Mr Xie at 5pm. Well Matty stix and I get there and no one is in sight. Chinese people are notoriously late so we thought nothing of it. Then we figured we were just too early and decided to go back to the school to see if any one else was there or waiting. ( I should mention that the restaurant is about a 5 min walk fom the school) As we were walking up the driveway, we see Mr Ye with Roy, Angela and Nick. Apparently he was waiting for us at the school. So we head back out, all of us, and then Mr Ye says that Mr Xie's restaurant was booked and we'll be dining somewhere else, also not far from the school.
So we go to another restaurant and the food is good, actually great. We had some laughs and I forgot to take pictures. Then when we got back to the school to get ready for the concert, Mr Ye had presents for us all. For the girls, a box of chocolates, Hershy's chocolate syrup and a jar of peanut butter. The gift that keeps on giving, and for the boys, the same, however, instead of the box of chocolates, they got a bubba of beer. Once again, a gift that keeps on giving. So after dropping that off at my room we headed to the concert, which was held in the auditorium of the music university right next door to the school.
Well in true chinese fashion they sold more tickets than they had seats for. Then on top of that the heat was turned way up, and it was a sauna in there. Then, many people showed up late and were disturbing and about halfway through the show, they started letting the university students in. Well there is no longer any room for anyone to sit in, so they just all crowded around, standing there. Now at first I could see most of the stage but a quarter of it was out of my sight. By the time these students started filling things up, more than half the stage was gone to me. Then the people in front of me couldn't see so they had to sit up, then I can't see so now I have to sit up. The performances themselves were quite beautiful. In fact the first piece was done with a huge orchestra of people playing all different kinds of instruments (chinese and western) and they were amazing, but that I think was the last thing I enjoyed. Not because the performances were bad (except for this one girl that did this interpretative dance that was lost in translation for me) but because I couldn't see anything. Just after the halfway mark, I decided I'd had enough. Yes the tickets were free but what was the point of me being there? I was boiling, I couldn't see anything and everyone around me was annoying the bloody heck out of me. Talking on cell phones and fidgeting in their seats. So I told everyone that I was out of there and then I came home.
Today is christmas eve and I'm sort of in the christmas mood but at the same time, I could just as well stay home and do nothing. I have a christmas tradition of watching a particular movie every year. I've done that and now I feel better.
I'll see what the day has in store for me and I'm actually looking forward to christmas lunch tomorrow.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home