Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Saturday, Sept 17th. day time

Well Saturday I had the invitation to lunch with Emily and the other english teachers she hooked up. A cast of characters indeed. I'm really bad with names so you'll have to bear with me. One guy, from London. Not bad to look at. Seems very interested in learning chinese culture etc. Seems very happy to be hear. Another guy from Australia. Really good looking, tall and well spoken. Also seems to be having a good time. His friend from USA. Well, don't mean to offend anyone but he is the typical American. He's from Oregon and isn't too bad to look at either. A little arrogant but nice nonetheless. Girl from Mississippi. Nice but a little strange looking. Another thing, she knew she was coming out to lunch, yet she had a big breakfast and hardly ate anything. Two other girls from Dallas. Very nice but a little off. Both with very beautiful eyes. The girl from Mississippi brought her friend who is chinese and also quite pretty. The 3 girls were all friends and have been for some time, I've gathered. They were talking about the fact that they all went to college together.
It was interesting to hear about other people's experiences in China. It sounds like the girls live in an apartment building. They were talking about the fact that they lived on the third floor and how their places were set up. The guys apparently, had it pretty rough. They had to almost fend for themselves and had very little help getting things set up. One of they girls was saying that she had to get someone to come in and set up her internet.
This left me thinking..... really lucked out. I mean, I've always liked the frat house but now I like it more. How many people have wished that they were walking distance from their job? How many people thought that they would live on the same premises as their job? How many people actually do? I have this luxury. I may not have a very big room or my own kitchen or anything like that but, atleast I was provided with the things I needed right away and I didn't eed anyone to come in and set anything up for me or ask for something that was promised and never delivered.
I think I have a pretty good set up here. I live at the school, I have internet connection (mostly) and I have a kitchen I never use because I spend so much time at a little restaurant around the corner. I'm on a busy street so I can get anything I want anytime and I live with some amazing people.
Anyway, it was fantastic finally meeting Emily and the lunch as really good as well. The only thing is Emily's emails have been great to read and gave me the impression that her english was excellent. Well her english is good, but there were a few times when she had difficulty understanding us and when she had difficulty getting her own point across. All in all however, she's very nice and I hope to see her again before I leave.
Getting back home was interesting since I did it all by myself. It was the first time I had been out on my own and so far from home. From the restaurant I walked to downtown, once again getting stares all the way. I have found however, since chinese people are the obvious majority, that when I do see a non-chinese person I find myself staring at them just as much as the chinese people do. It is a rare thing to see a non-chinese face staring back at you because they do the same thing. when they see you. I saw a girl today. Blonde. We both gave each other that OMG-you're-not-chinese look.
Well, as I was saying. I walked around downtown for a bit. Actually I stopped in a store that I've come to visit regularly. I had my eye on this leather bag there and to myself that if it was still there at the end of the month, I would buy it. Well I stopped in to see if it was still there.................unfortunately, gone. I was heartbroken. I will have to see another time if there is anything else that'll tickle my fancy.
Anyway, I hopped on my bus and after that and a short walk I was back home. I was so very proud since I did it on my own and soley on memory.
Anyway, that's as far as the adventure goes for now. As usual I will keep you posted. Be sure to keep reading and I love your comments.
TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home