Monday, September 05, 2005

Another day

Ok, so yesterday evening I did end up venturing out on my own. I walked to the McDonald's, which is about 15 minutes away. They speak english there which was pretty cool. I'm guessing that the McDonald's corporation made that a requirement. The Big Mac is the same and the fries are just as good but that is not something I will have again for a long time. I rather have the typical chinese dishes and eat with my chopsticks. Anyway I was able to get the plug adapter for my laptop so I now have that plugged in and I've put away the computer that the school provided.
Today was an ok day. I finally named all of my students. 3 classes with 45 students each. You do the math. I also spent a little time again on the phrases "what is your name?" and "my name is..." Because these students have very little to no english, repetition is the best way to teach. It's tiring and time consuming but it's really the only way.
My teachers' aide Lily, is so nonchalant that it's become an annoyance. She gives no feedback and seems to have no interest in what I'm doing. On the plus side, Mr. Ye gave me a small advance on my monthly pay check so I have some money to last me till the end of the month when I get the rest of my pay. I have my eye on this leather bag that I want so much. It's not a bad price and it will suit me fine.
I got a few more lessons planned after my last class so I could think of ways to get the children more engaged in what they are learning. Although today I had them come up to the board to write the letters we have learned so far. They did well which leads me to believe that I'm not doing that bad of a job.
After work me, Annaik, Breanna and Patrick went to Carrefour to do some shopping. Carrefour is sort of like a really big Walmart or something with a grocery store and a department store. It is very big and is 3 floors of stores. I got a few supplies that I needed and was also able to get some fresh rose tea and bread and the fixins for bread for breakfast. There still are a few other things I'd like to buy, just to make myself comfortable at the house, but generally I'm doing well.
We all came back home to drop the bags off and me, Patrick and Annaik went to a little restaurant for dinner. We had this hotplate with pork and onions and peppers all fried up and this other beef dish that was done with jalapenos. Both a bit on the spicy side but both very good.
There has been a schedule change for myself tomorrow and I have an early class at 8:35. Lily has assured me that it's only for this week but with me still having a bit of trouble sleeping through the night, I'll probably be up for that, or even before anyways.
The weather is still sucking out here and I gave in and bought an umbrella. Typically I hate umbrellas and I never use them but with the weather the way it is here, it's pretty much a necessity.

So that's about it for now. Hopefully the weather will clear up as predicted. I hate overcast days.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home