Wednesday, August 31, 2005

YEAH!!

Well, I got here safely. I have been in a few foreign countries before but never in one that spoke little to no english. This feels very strange and I'm almost still in disbelief that I'm actually here.
It is now 7:20 am on Wednesday morning, so let me get you up to date on how things have gone so far.
Got to the airport in Toronto and things went very well. Boarded the plane and got ready for a very long trip. The plane ride was better than some others I have had but it was still very very long. I ended up taking something just to put me to sleep cause there was no way I could occupy myself for that many hours. I was able to catch a few movies and watched some tv but I mostly slept and at one point, lost complete track of time.
Finally I arrived in Hong Kong which was very beautiful from what I could see through the huge airport windows. Even before landing, looking over the city, you could see all the buildings on top of buildings. That was truly amazing. While in the airport in Hong Kong I got something to eat and then it was on to another plane. I had a short flight from there to Guangzhou and had a bit of a longer layover there. This was a little painful becuase this is when I really started to get tired and sitting in the waiting area for my plane to board was making things worse. I couldn't get very comfortable but I began to doze off as I waited, then I didn't want to really doze off because I was afraid that someone would take advantage and maybe mess with my belongings.
Finally the plane boarded and I was on my way to my final destination, Wuhan.
Small side note, I was the only non-chinese person on that particular aircraft and it was somewhat of an odd feeling.
So the plane finally lands in Wuhan and I really had to go before I went to pick up my bags. When I entered the bathroom I was surprised by the mere hole in the ground that they wanted me to go into. I don't think so Tim. I used the handicapped stall that had an actual toilet.
Anyway, I picked up my bags and when I came out I saw my name. It's a funny thing though, the people from the school that came to pick me up, for some reason already knew it was me before I even saw the sheet with my name. Boy do I stick out like a sore thumb here!
Anyway, I was met by Sandra and Mr Yim (I think that's his name) and an unidentified driver. Sandra and I chatted for a bit while on the way to the school. The people in China are such bad drivers and the pedistrians are even worse. But just as I have seen on tv and in movies, there are alot of people on bikes and scooters.
Unfortunately it was dark by the time I arrived in Wuhan so I couldn't see much on the bus ride to the school but in some of the busier areas you could see the bussling life and the many neon signs that light up the streets.
We got to the school fairly quickly (even though Sandra told me that it was an hour away from the airport) and I was set up in my apartment.
My apartment is basically an average sized room with a single bed, desk and computer, tv and dvd player, mini fridge, water cooler, closet and a bathroom. There is a kitchen but it is a common one that is located elsewhere in the building.
A few minutes after I got in, there was a knock on my door. It was the other english teachers greeting me and welcoming me to the school and China. There was Briana and some other girl (her name escapes me right now) and they were very nice. We chatted for a bit and I met another guy Damon. Then I insisted that I had to go to bed which they understood.
I haven't completely unpacked and I don't think that I ever will but I finally hit the sack at around 11:30 pm.
My bed is a little hard but I can sleep on it so that's good. I thought I would have slept more last night but I was up pretty early this morning. I think my body is still adjusting so I may get a better nights sleep tonight.
I have a meeting today with the other teachers and then I start school tomorrow.
I'm feeling pretty good and I'm looking forward to where this adventure is taking me.
That's pretty much it for now.

Tish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home