Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lull

Well not a whole heck of a lot is going on the past few days. I'm slowly coming out of my slump but I think that that's because I know I'm coming close to the end. Only 4 and a half weeks left. So I was hoping that I would get some regular work from Kid Castle but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. They've asked me to sub a couple times and the guy gave me the impression that there was a class available for me to take over, now I ain't hearing nothing.
In other news, I've had a pretty bad cold but have still been making my way to work. As much as I'd like to stay home and wish the sickness outta me, it's just something I can't do. Charles has made it very clear that I have no sick days in my contract and even if I did, he apparently is just not down with people calling in sick. So, as a form of subtle protest, I go to work and do a half-assed job. The way I see it, they can't have it both ways. I can't come to work sick AND do a good job. That'll learn 'em. In any event, it really doesn't matter. I mentally checked out about a week ago.
So some of you may know that I haven't really been doing much. I'm working my ass off and then for the most part I just go home and veg until I gotta get up and do it all over again. Klaver and I hang out whenever but we don't really do much either. This weekend, things were a bit different. After declining several weeks in a row, I finally took Klaver up on his offer. There was some indie rock bar that had a couple bands playing and he asked me if I'd like to go. At first I hesitated since indie rock isn't really "my thing" but then I thought that it was probably a good idea. It had been a while since I've been out to hang, party, socialize, drink, whatever. Actually the last time we/I went out was for Klaver's birthday and that was in September. It's really sad I haven't done much of anything other than work since I've been here. And I know that that was the main reason for coming but without an outlet to unwind, the entire experience here has become exhausting. Anyway, as far as the bar, it was good to get out. The first band that played was pretty ok. The second band left much to be desired. All in all, I probably would have been better off to stay home and get drunk but the time spent in a social setting was worth it (somewhat).
At the middle school, I wrote a script for a Christmas show. It was my version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It was actually the first script I've ever completed (but that's another story). Anyways, after Nancy read it, she thought that it would be too complicated for the students. I basically told her that because it wasn't written in Chinglish that maybe that's why she felt that way. Anyway, I had the students read it and they liked it and I was surprised that they actually did pretty well, but then we decided that maybe they should do Cinderella instead since my Christmas story was too long and we don't have much time to rehearse or perform. So I found a Cinderella script and we're gonna do that. What's great for me is that I get to sit in the director's chair once more. Now I don't think the performances here would be anything close to the calibre of performances that I'm used to in Canada, but I will work my magic and see how it goes. So the holidays are coming up and surprisingly many places have decorations up. Some of the bigger fancier malls have huge Christmas displays (elegantly decorated trees etc) and most other places have their employees in Santa hats. As for me, I'm getting ready to go to Wuhan for the holidays. I don't know if my boss will automatically give me the time off (most places usually do) but I'm requesting it off and making it very clear that I'm gonna be out of town and therefore unavailable. I'm also going to be requesting my birthday off and if they have anything to say, they could just go fly a kite. I don't wanna hear that noise. It's my birthday and it also happens to be a holiday. I'M NOT WORKING.
Anyway, we'll see how the upcoming weeks go. I'll keep you posted and I'm still counting down the days.
I can't wait to get home!!!

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home