Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A little nugget of info

Well, all last week I was pretty badly sick. It's the kind of thing you don't want to happen to you under normal circumstances, much less when you're in a strange country and you don't speak the language. In any event I've more or less recovered. I still have a lingering cough and the sniffles but I believe I'm ok. Anyway, there's so much going on now. I've got a two trial lessons scheduled this week. That should be good and I could certainly use the extra cash. I'm just really hoping it results in a steady thing. As usual, we'll see how it goes.
Now for the big news.
So upon arriving here the school is supposed to convert my visitors' entry visa into an F-visa which is a temporary residency permit. We've had to go to the visa office twice now and get extension after extension for my visitors' visa. Now Charles is telling me that I have to go to Hong Kong to get some other type of visa and after I get that, then they would be able to extend this to the F-visa (residency permit) that I need. I was absolutely flabbergasted to hear this information until he hit me with the kicker. While they'll pay for the visa and the extra cost of rushing it for one day, I'm supposed to be responsible for the cost of getting myself to and from Hong Kong. I'm supposed to go there over the weekend and be back in Shanghai by Monday evening. I was absolutely floored. He tells me that neither of us are at fault but it is because they have changed the policy, this is why the trip to Hong Kong is necessary. He also says that if I don't have the money right now, they can pay it for me and then I can pay them back. Well I understand that neither of us are at fault but my contract says that they would supply me with the F-visa and I don't see why any of the costs associated with that should be my responsibility. A trip to Hong Kong is not all that simple. There's the airfare, the hotel plus the travel expenses to and from everywhere. I don't have money for that. So basically I sent him a reply email saying that I don't believe that any of the costs associated with this whole adventure are my responsibility. Also, I didn't have a budget that would allow me to pay for a trip to Hong Kong. I really don't know what he'll say and I really don't know what position that puts me in but either way, the situation really bothers me.
So that's the news, and now for the weather. Almost overnight, it got cold. One night I was sweating as I lay in bed and then the next night my covers weren't warm enough. So the seasons are changing. There's definitely a chill in the air and the days are getting shorter. They don't do daylight savings over here so now it's 5:30pm and it's pretty dark out. Winters always trip me out. The early setting sun throws off my body clock. In any event, I'm gonna try to send some, if not all, of my summer things home. It'd make my life a lot easier when packing for when home time comes. Now with this whole visa fiasco, I'm really counting down the days. Only 10 and a half more weeks to go.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home