Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sometimes being super angry can give you the afternoon off from work

So today, I was right pissed off. I was supposed to do mid-term exams for the middle school kids. I never wanted to but Nancy told me I had to. She figured it would help make the kids take the class more seriously. I don't think that there is anything on this planet that can make these kids take anything seriously. Anyway, I had told her several times that I would have the exams this week. I emailed her one of the exams last Friday and the other on Sunday. I get there today and there are no tests. I go looking for Nancy and she's chatting away in her office. She chooses this time (5 minutes after class has already started and after I have gone on a manhunt for her) to tell me that although she received my email, she wasn't able to open the document file. I freaked out. Why wouldn't you have told me before??!!!!! Why wait till now??!!!! You had 3 and a half days to figure this out and you wait till now. The 99th hour. I was so upset. She then said that maybe I could give the students a lesson. I told her that I had nothing prepared because I was anticipating doing a test today. Anyway, we went back and forth and then instead of going back to the class and pulling one out of my ass (for students I care nothing for nor do I enjoy spending time with) I decided to go home. So basically I told her that I'm not doing anything other than going home. "There's 2 classes over 4 lessons that have nothing to do now. You deal with it!!" I believe were my exact words. So, I was super angry and as a result, got the afternoon off. It was a good break. I spent some time at home before I had to go to my part time job. Normally I wouldn't do that but I'm already dealing with so many frustrations at the school that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. About an hour later Nancy called me and I was still pretty upset but in typical Chinese fashion, she'd rather blame me or manipulate me into assuming blame for something the is clearly her fault. I should have called her, I should have this, I should have that. She knew I was having the test today. She checked the email this morning (even though it was sent on Friday) and she had all morning to tell me that there would be no tests when I got there. I'm counting the days till I'm outta here. This entire experience is about 2 steps away from being defined as cruel and unusual punishment.
53 days and counting.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home