Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pluses and minuses

On Monday, one of the teachers (actually the only teacher that can really speak English) told me that Halloween was coming up. I was like "really I had no clue. What is this Halloween you speak of?" Anyway, she said that on Friday for the Halloween, they will have some kind of talent show or something in the main hall. I come in today, and to my surprise, this talent show was actually happening today. It was the best day ever since I didn't have to work but I was kinda pissed off. If they knew they were going to do this and there wouldn't be any classes, then why the fuck didn't they tell me? I would have been much better off to just stay home in the morning and then just go to the middle school in the afternoon. They keep doing these things and it pisses me off. So far they've changed the schedule and didn't tell me. Then they had a talent show and didn't tell me nor ask me to participate. Now they have this Halloween show (which wasn't Halloween related in any way, shape or form) and they changed the date and was also another event that didn't include me. I'm really living the life of isolation this time around. The only foreign teacher at both schools and in my building.
At the middle school, things weren't too bad. I let both classes out early. The second class is always especially grateful because it's the end of the day. I've been getting into the habit of always letting them out early. They love it and so do I. I had a chat with one of the teachers at the middle school today. We talked about all kinds of fun stuff and she's even encouraged me to take a trip to Hangzhou. It's something that I'd been thinking about for a few days. Hangzhou is a quiet beautiful city about a 2 hour train ride outside of Shanghai. It's got a beautiful lake and is apparently a great place to relax. Due to the close proximity to Shanghai, the entire trip can be done over a weekend and for pretty cheap too. I might go this weekend. The teacher was also telling me that she had heard that I was very upset about the way things were going on at the school. She knew I was unhappy with the classes but she kept telling me that I was a very good teacher and that it was the loss of the students if they didn't want to pay attention to the lessons. I partly agree with her. It is unfortunate that they won't realize the loss until they are older but in the here and now, it's really frustrating to attempt to teach them. Hopefully if I complain enough, something will be done.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home