Sunday, November 02, 2008

Slowly looking up

So I had two trial lessons last week. One was on Wednesday and the other on Thursday. The Wednesday lesson ended up not being a lesson. It was actually an interview conducted by the father of the potential student. He was a Japanese man and seemed nice enough. He wanted to know about me and how I planned on teaching. I put on my best face and crossed my fingers. Then on Thursday, I had an actual trial lesson. It was the two kids. I think maybe 11 and 9 years old. They were pretty shy but seemed really nice. Their mother was with them and I guess her English isn't that bad. She was able to do a bit of translating here and there. In some cases she was even helping correct their pronunciation. There was a small part of me that was thinking that I had no purpose to really be there, but there was a bigger part of me that was really happy about making the cash. I got a text message from Suraj on Friday that said that the parents for both sets of students were really impressed with me and wanted to sign up. Needless to say, I was elated to hear this news and relieved that I would now have some extra cash coming my way.
Upon getting this text message, I was in the middle of the Halloween celebration that was going on at the kindergarten. It would seem that the show on Wednesday was just the practice run or something. The actual full show happened on the Friday. Although, this time it included a fashion type show. The students wore "costumes" and mimicked walking down an aisle. They would get to the end and pose. It was pretty funny and I guess was a pleasant alternative to teaching that day. And of course, again, I wasn't included. I suppose I shouldn't complain and should just be grateful but at the same time, it just reinforces my isolation here. They have this show in Chinese and I understand less than half of it and then they have a few skits in English and I understand less than half of that. So again, I suppose I should just be grateful that I have little to no responsibility at either school. Just 10 more weeks to go and I'm outta here.
In other news, the school was having problems getting the correct visa for me. Anyway, the issue seems to be on the road to resolve. I don't have to go to Hong Kong anymore, but I do have to take a medical test and then they'll get a long work visa for me, which they'll then cancel after I leave in January. The funny thing is though, that they kept insisting that I pay for the trip to Hong Kong. Charles kept telling me that because I took sick days that they had to pay for, they can't afford to pay for the trip. I told him that I'd be willing to work back the sick days and if getting me the visa that my contract says they would get, required me to take a trip to HK, then every penny of that trip was their responsibility. Anyway, they managed to talk to the visa office and the HK trip is no longer necessary. I swear, these people will try to fuck you over any chance they get. They don't want to take the money out of their own pockets knowing fully well that they are responsible for it. They would prefer to have someone else pay for something that they are suppose to pay for. Then they'll use every excuse they can, to get you to do what they are supposed to do. After my last email of telling Charles that the sick leave budget should affect the visa budget and that if it bothered him so much that I took the time off, then I'd work them back......he really hasn't had much else to say. I really hate that fucker. I can't wait to stomp on his face on my way out of here. I've even told Klaver about the whole situation and he hates Charles too. Also, because he's been doing a lot of studying on Chinese, their culture and how they operate, it makes him hate this guy even more because he knows that they are trying their best to fuck me over. It's both funny and sad that they think all foreigners are dumb. I may not have a degree but I ain't no fool. My momma didn't raise no fool.
Anyway, financially this month isn't that great but I'll be making up for it next month. Not only will I be repaid for the time lost but I'll also be getting extra money from the part time work I've now scheduled. Thank heaven things are starting to look up. It's about fucking time.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home