Friday, May 18, 2007

Take a moment

Well things here in Wuhan have been pretty good. The weather has been tolerable. It's mostly been partly sunny, warm, breezy days. I've sort of settled into this life of just doing as I'm told and going through the motions at school. All of us have been anxious to get home. None more so that Lisa and Colin. Klaver and I have been getting our thoughts ready to come back home. We'll be taking the same flight and also on the way back we'll spend a day in Beijing. I'm really looking forward to it.
Now on a more serious note. Today we were all in shock to find out that a student at our school died. I don't know the precise details surrounding her death but from what I've been told, she collapsed yesterday at school, they took her to the hospital and she subsequently died. I don't know why or from what. The student was a girl in grade 5 and was actually a student of Moose's. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but according to Lisa he was pretty shook up. The thing that bothered me was, while all the chinese teachers huddled in the office discussing the matter, none of them said anything to any of us officially and the other thing was that this child's death wasn't even acknowledged by the school population. It was just another day at school and noone seemed to be bothered except for the people closely associated with this student. There was no announcement made by the principal or flag at half mast or anything. It was very strange. I remember when I was in high school, a fellow classmate died and the entire school was in mourning. Obviously the people closer to him were affected more but it was something that hit everyone. The day it happened, we went to class but no teachers were teaching and it took a good week before things were back to normal at school. Here at Wuchang Experimental, it was as if it never happened and this is what made me sad.
Anyway, Colin's birthday is on Sunday, so we'll be going out tonight to celebrate. I don't know what's going to happen but it should be fun.

44 days and counting till I get home.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home