Saturday, May 12, 2007

A dream dreamt and lived

Well I finally made it out to Thailand. I had been dying to go there for many many years. The entire trip had it's ups and downs and I won't bore you with the blow by blow details but here are some of the highlights. The weather could have been better. Unfortunately this was the only time I could get and it was also the begining of the rainy season. The important thing is that I made the trip. I did almost everything I wanted to do and despite going by myself, I had a marvalous time. My only wish is less rain and the ability to do more. Anyways, here it goes.


Here I am on an elephant (duh!). She's 50 years old and I got her all to myself. As you can see with the umbrellas, it was raining then too but there was something oddly calming about trenching around in the rainy jungle on the back of an elephant. This was fun and the guide at the front was really pleasant. In fact he gave me a cigarette and then the two of us were on the back of the elephant having a smoke. The Thai people are very nice and very pleasant. This day, despite the rain, was a good day.


Here is the baby elephant which was the absolute highlight of my day, probably the trip and maybe even my life. I love baby elephants so much. This little guy is named Phuket since he was the first elephant to be born in Phuket. He's 5 years old and he was so cute. For 40 Baht, you could feed him some fruit or vegetables and that was so much fun. I fed him from the basket, from my hand to his trunk and also I put a piece directly in his mouth. It was so cool. Also, he played the harmonica with his trunk and did a little dance. I was giddy all day and just talking about it now, there's a smile on my face. I love baby elephants!


This is around the Phi-Phi (pee-pee) island area. If you remember the movie The Beach, I went to Maya Bay where it was filmed but because of the high tide and the bad weather we were unable to spend any real time on the beach itself, but I did go snorkeling with the fish at Maya Bay and that was amazingly awesome. Anyway, if you ever get the chance to watch the movie again, towards the end when they are floating on that make-shift boat because they have to leave "the beach", you'll see these two little islands in the background. From a distance they kinda looked like two nipples and that was part of the reason why I took the picture.


This is me on my last night in Phuket Thailand and I'm having my last beer and my last pad thai (one of my favourite dishes of all time). Once again, the Thai people are so pleasant and nice. I really had a good time and I really tried to enjoy everything that the beautiful country had to offer. I don't when I'll be able to visit again but if I do, now I'm prepared and I could do even more on my next visit.



This was the morning I was leaving Phuket. Needless to say, I cursed the gods for giving me this day and ironically not giving me the time to enjoy it. I am Fortune's fool. Anyway, I was happy that I was able to atleast witness a sunny day in Thailand, but it did suck that I wasn't able to enjoy it. This pic was taken after I had my breakfast and was getting ready to get my car to the airport. But like I said, I was able to atleast see it, not be on it. Big mistake, but there was still a positive side.

In other news, I'd like to take the time to say Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there and a very special Happy Mother's Day to my mom. For without her, I wouldn't even be here. Thanks for everything mom. Enjoy your day.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home