Friday, September 02, 2005

Yesterday

First I'd like to say that you are more than welcome to leave comments. I'm still unable to view the blog site but atleast I can receive your comments. The only thing is a can't reply to them like I used to but, ya know.

Yesterday, was a great day. The only thing that sucked was the fact that it was raining and it still is actually. Anyway, I had to get up fairly early because I had to go to the foreign affairs office and get a physical examination done again. Don't ask me why, I did it before I left with my doctor but they insisted that I had to do it again. Anyway, that went by fairly quickly. I went with my teacher's assistant Lily, who is really nice. We got back to the school just in time to go to our first class. Once again, all the students seem to be amazed by my skin and hair and spent alot of time staring at me. The morning classes were good and then we broke for lunch. I didn't have much to eat but once again the food was pretty good.
After lunch I had two activity classes and these are done with my other teacher's assistant Dania. We did a paperfolding class and my first activity class was very out of control. They wouldn't stop talking and just kept getting louder and louder. Poor Dania was trying so hard to keep them quite but they would only do so for a few seconds and then start up again. I ended up yelling a booming "hey" which stunned, surprised and shut up all.
In my second activity class we did the same thing but we made it clear to them at the begining that they had to remain quiet or we weren't going to do anything. They were a little better but they were still out of control. With the paper folding we made a boat then a house and it was good to see the enthusiasm of the students. They are so eager to show me have far they had come with the folding and some of them needed my assistance but when they crowed around me they put the paper right in my face. Once again in true chinese fashion they have no clue on the concept of personal space.
Anyway, when we got back home, Breanna was telling me that her friend who is chinese and lives here in China was coming by to cook dinner because she was going to be going to Beijing for 3 years to study and wanted to spend some time with Breanna before she left.
Annie, Breanna's friend, speaks english quite well and came with her cousin Susanna, who's english is not as good. We all four went to the market to get things and that was an interesting experience. The fact that it was raining made it a little unpleasant and the market is a congested building with vendors everywhere and their merchandise (mostly fruit, vegetables, egg, meat etc) is just everywhere as well. I even saw pig's brains being sold. That was interesting.
The dinner that was made was fantastic. Mostly all typical chinese dishes. We had beef, which looks different than we see at home but tastes awesome. Annie did it with some red and green peppers and it was great. Then chicken that was fried up but it doesn't look or taste like chicken when we eat it but it is still very good. Then we had this porridge which is done with preserved eggs, which looks quite odd but actually tastes pretty decent. Then we had bitter melon with egg. Bitter melon is something that I know from Trinidad but is not available in Canada typically. Maybe at a west indian store but in Trinidad we know it a kharilee. Then we had cucumbers that was lightly tossed with sugar, water, vinergar and a few drops of sesame oil. We found this amazing sesame oil at the market which I will make a point of buying a couple bottles before I come back home. Then we also had friend egg with tomatoes. So all in all dinner was pretty good. I have mastered the art of using chopsticks now, so I should be ok from now on. I still have my fork and spoon as back up but I think I will use the chopsticks more.
After dinner we watched Seinfeld which everyone seemed to enjoy. I'm really glad I brought my Seinfeld and Simpsons DVD. It's cool because we have no tv and it's like watching television at home except there are no commercials.
Today is still a very rainy day so I'm unsure if we are going to do all the things we had planned. Today is Breanna's birthday and we were gonna go out for breakfast, then later we're gonna meet up with Annie again to do some other things. I think later on we planned on going to Pizza Hut for Breanna but we'll see how that unfolds. Breanna is sorta like a kid sister to me now so you'll probably read about her alot.
Anyway, I'm still having a little trouble sleeping through the night, so I'm hoping that my body will adjust soon. It is a major pain though.
Anyway, that's about it for now. Tonight I will tell you how today went.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home