Thursday, September 29, 2005

well-ity, well-ity, well-ity

Ok, so the school gave us these coupons for this buffet restaurant in town. We had heard good things about and some other teachers had been already and said it was really good. All you could eat food as well as all you can drink beer and wine.
So the cast of characters included, myslef, Annaick, Patrick, my assistant Lily and Annaick's assistant for activity Daisy. Daisy is also one of the teachers with whom we've made good friends with. So we head out to the restaurant and it's on the 8th floor of this building. The building turned out to be a huge multi level department store. Unfortunately, there was only one elevator and there was a huge crowd waiting for it and the elevators are not very big.
So we take the escalators up, which was a bit difficult for Patrick but was better than waiting for the elevator which would probably be cramped and we may not have gotten in on the first load anyway.
We get to the restaurant, which reminded me of Mandarin, but not at the same time. It was definitely more chinese and they had woks to hold the food, not the hot tables.
Everything I tried was quite good. They even had crab legs which were absolutely delicious. The crab meat seemed to melt in your mouth. Annaick was very happy that there was wine. It was something she had been looking forward to in a long time. Annaick has a french (as in from France not just Quebec) background and as most of you know, the french drink wine with their food. Everyday we have had beer so she was very happy to have the wine. The wine itself wasn't the greatest but it was a good change. And needless to say, that didn't stop us from drinking it all. We drank all the wine that was in the carafe and then all the prefilled glasses that they had ready for you to take. No one was particularly drunk but everyone was a bit tipsy.
We had a really great time. We made jokes and laughed and took a few pictures as well. Plus at the restaurant they had a piano and this girl came out and was playing some lovely music. It was a really great evening and we all left satisfied. I was glad Lily came because I got to talk to her a bit and get to know her a bit more as well. All we do at school is talk about the lessons we need to plan and what to do about the students. We never really just talk. She kept yelling at me to either stop laughing or stop making her laugh. Like I said, we had fun.
When we got home, me, Patrick and Nick hung out and had a few beers. This is when drunkness started to set it but we had a blast just talking and laughing. We didn't go to bed till 2:30 am. I woke up this morning, not with a hang over but a little on the tired side. Infact, I'm supposed to be at the office at 9am everyday. Sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not. On Mondays and Tuesdays my first class doesn't start till 10:20am so I just sit around either planning lessons, correcting books or preparing something. On Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, my first classes are at 9:25am.
This morning I woke up at 9am and got to my first class at 9:23am with a cup of tea in hand. My students were curious to know what was wrong with me and why I came into class with tea. How do you explain the "cocktail flu" to a 6 year old chinese student with very little english.

Yeah, I didn't explain it either.
Anyway, the kids are either getting more and more out of control or more and more excited about learning english. I actually think it's both but it is very annoying sometimes. Even Lily is beginning to lose her patience and left a classroom before me for the first time ever. Usually, when the bell rings, I leave the class first and she meets me in the office or the next class but today she left the room while I was still getting my stuff together. Anyway, other than the minor hiccups I'm sure are bound to happen, I think I'm doing good. I try to keep the kids entertained and I know they like that better than me just spilling english words at them.

So that's about it..............
TTFN

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LiveJournal adds Schools Directory feature
Well, it looks like Six Apart is taking some inspiration from the old dope peddler's playbook: "Get 'em while they're young." LiveJournal's new Schools Directory feature stands to pull in a lot of fresh faces ...

Just out blog surfing. Interesting perspective, thanks for the words of wisdom!

See ya

----------------------------
Ever want to be a deejay It’s EASY! It’s FUN. It's FREE! Come check out my blog sometime.

1:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home