Wednesday, January 07, 2009

So close I could taste it

So lets start with New Years. I wasn't feeling the "lets go out and party and get hammered for new years" vibe. Neither was Klaver. We decided that it'd be better to go to a dive Chinese restaurant for dinner, pick up a couple bottles of wine and come back to my place, where we will get drunk while watching TV or listening to music or looking at pictures or talking. It worked out quite nicely. I managed to make it to midnight and then passed out. My kid brother however didn't make it so far. The next morning Klaver was up early (gee wonder why? maybe a good night's sleep??), it was quite the surprise. What was even more shocking was that he was making me breakfast for my birthday. It was so nice. New Years day we both did nothing and then on the 2nd we went out for some Shanghai sight seeing. We were supposed to go to the Shanghai aquarium but we got there too late. Instead we went to one of the tallest buildings in Shanghai. It was a nice little trip and a really cool view of the city.
I had to work on Sunday to make up for the days off (I hate that they do that) so this week is a long week but it's ok because I only have two days left. What the really good news is for this week, is that I no longer have to be at the middle school. The semester is over for them. They were writing their exams today and I have no more lessons with them. I went in, said my goodbyes and was elated that I never have to see that place again. When Nancy sent me the email with the news of the semester being over, I could have jumped out of my chair. It was the best piece of news I'd gotten in a long while. Speaking of good news, there's more. I bought my ticket so I'm officially on my way. The flight has been booked. The reservation made. I'm coming home on January 20th and that day can't come soon enough.
I got an email from Charles. He tells me that the new teacher is here and he'd like my help in giving her the run down. He told me that I should be positive and he will push the school into improving things for next year. Be positive. Be positive? Be positive?! BE POSITIVE?! Nothing has been positive since I got here. It's been bullshit and manipulation all the way. So I can't tell him outright that I plan on telling the new teacher the truth. That is unless he wants me to lie to the teacher. Does he want me to lie? Lie? And tell her that this place is heaven and she should expect smooth sailing and clear skies ahead. Yeah, no, I don't think so. So to play the game I replied with "It will be my pleasure to provide the teacher with all the necessary info to do the best possible job" Sounds like a compliment, huh? Not this time. Actual translation of this statement. I'll be informing this person on how to survive, the things to avoid, why this place sucks and how to spot manipulation. She needs to be informed on what she's getting involved with. So that's about it. I still have to work with the Japanese company but I only have 3 more classes with them so it's not too bad. I'm counting the days till I come home and I'm down to 13 days. Only a couple more days left in this week and next week is a short week and then I come home. Yay!

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home