Monday, September 22, 2008

You give me fever

Today has been an absolute scorcher. It's hot and humid and with the extremely poor air quality in this place, it makes it hard to breath. Your clothes feel like they're glued to your skin and you feel like there is no relief in sight. Anyway, I got hit with a bomb of information today. So the October holiday is coming up and it's supposed to be 7 days off. Now for whatever reason, they feel the need to make you work the weekend before. So they say, for 7 days off, you must work 7 days in a row. Now this doesn't make sense to me. By this logic, should I not also get the following Monday and Tuesday off since I'm working the weekend? I don't consider the weekend off to be holiday time off. I would get those two days off anyways. It's like anything else. If I work for a company and ask for two days off and tack them on to a weekend (like a Friday, Monday thing) Then I get 4 days off for the price of 2. I don't then come in on the Saturday and Sunday. Those two days off are already a given. So their logic is work Monday to Sunday so that you can get Monday to Friday off and include the weekend in that, which I feel is a jip. But I don't really consider that 7 days off. That's 5 days off and the weekend (which I get off anyways). For me, 7 days off would be Monday to Friday, then my natural weekend off, then Monday and Tuesday off. Anyway, as you can see, it gets confusing. Which is why I think it's stupid that we have to work the weekend before. So, as if my weeks aren't long enough, they make it longer with this extra long week. Luckily, I get a week off after that but whatever. One of the teachers told me that I can go travelling during this time if I wanted and visit other cities in China but I don't know if I'd be able to make that happen. Charles was supposed to hook me up with a Saturday class which would have assured me some extra cash but at the last minute he said that they didn't have enough people for the class and so far it's been either postponed or cancelled. This puts me in a dilly of a pickle because I was really depending on that extra cash. Without that, I know have to dip into my already low paycheck in order to have money for the month. I'm still looking around for extra work but am finding that this is more difficult to secure than I thought it would be.

What's the deal?

What's the deal with autism, down syndrome, speech impediments and rotten teeth running rampant in this country?
What's the deal with a kid being both cute and hideous at the same time?
What's the deal with Chinese women not looking their age?
There are so many kids that have autism and speech impediments in my classes. Then there is a small handful of them that have down syndrome as well. Unfortunately, it's a bit harder to spot over here. Then the rotten teeth really get me. They drink milk everyday but still have these incredibly rotting teeth. Then there are a few kids in my classes that look cute but then they smile and they're still kinda cute but those teeth make them look hideous. Then I was talking to one of the teachers today and she told me that she was 38. I had a hard time believing it. She looked late 20's, early 30's at least. Then the class nurse was wondering what we were talking about and she told her. Then the class nurse gestured to me that she was 61. The lady didn't look a day over 45. I was stunned. Anyway, that's my rant.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home