Tuesday, May 16, 2006

HK - May 5th 2006

So today I woke up and wasn’t sure on what I was going to do with my day. Then I remembered one of the biggest reasons as to why Matt wanted to come to HK. He wanted to see the big Buddha on his birthday and that just so happened to be today (that's Buddha's birthday, not Matt's). So I was going to do it for him. So I got my stuff together, grabbed a quick breakfast and headed out. Well what a trek! First I had to take a ferry over to HK island. No real biggie. Done it a thousand times. Then I had to walk over to a different set of piers and catch another ferry over to Lantau island. That was about a half hour or so of ferry time. Then once I got to Lantau island (which sort of reminded me of Hawaii in a way) I had to catch a bus over to where the Buddha is. That ride was about another half hour or 40 minutes.
So,
2 ferries and a bus +
2 islands and a peninsula +
2 and a half hours +
268 stairs =
one giant Buddha.
The statue was very big and I was surprised that I made it up the stairs so well. The only thing that sucked was the fact that it was an overcast day and at that height you are in the clouds. I managed to get a few good shots but for the most part the pictures were pretty foggy. I stayed and watched Buddha for a while. Even though I’m not Buddhist, I was hoping that maybe He could tell me something or answer questions or give me inspiration. Well he didn’t tell me anything but I did get a reward. When I got to the bottom of those steps I felt ever so good. Anyway I stood in line for the bus and began my trip back to the Kowloon peninsula. Once back in town, I got some dinner and headed to bed. I was exhausted after the long trip and lying in bed, I could still feel the waves and the rocking of the ferry on my body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home