Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Beijing Jan 31st, 2006

What a great day, but before I get into that, this is how my day started. I'm a fairly light sleeper. It doesn't take a lot to wake me from my sleep. So I'm lying on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed in my dorm and there's a guy sleeping on the top bunk. Now, whenever he moves or rolls, the entire bunk moves. It's as if we're sleeping side by side on the same bed and when he moves I can feel it. Anyway, on this particular morning I was sleeping but was awoken by the movement of the bed. The bed was moving in a distinctive rhythm. Now, I have no way to actually confirm this but I really think that the guy was jerking off. I tried to ignore it but with the entire bed moving, it wasn't going to happen. He wasn't making any noises but with the bed movement, I can only suppose that that is what he was doing.
Anyway, I eventually woke up later and got the shuttle bus out to Simatai Great Wall. The bus ride is about 2 hours and this part of the wall is quite steep. First you have to take a walk on the Beijing wall to get to the Great Wall. The views are spectacular and the weather wasn't bad. It was a sunny and wasn't too cold.
On my way up I met up with a local Simatai farmer who acted as my guide. She spoke little english but enough to show me around. Getting to the wall was easy but climbing it proved to be very hard. I was able to get up to the third guard tower but I had no energy to go further. I stayed there for a bit, took some pictures, enjoyed the views and eventually made my way back down. Going down was pretty easy but you still had to be careful. The steps are all uneven. From one step to another the gap can be very small and then another set can have huge gaps. Then some steps are very small, almost half the size of my foot and then again some other steps I can step on comfortably and without a problem.
Anyway, I slowly made my way back down and waited for the bus to leave. We waited there for about 2 hours and then the bus was back to the hotel. I got back in and after all that climbing I was exhausted. I pretty much went straight to bed.
Tomorrow, momma is in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home