Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Last time on "Tisha in China"

I've been meaning to update for a while but our internet was down for a couple days and I was a bit lazy.
Well on Monday I had a show lesson. This is when the parents come in and see what their hard earned Yen has been paying for. They watch you teach a lesson to their kids and I think they make comments or something after the fact. But have to make the class a little more entertaining than usual. Alot of the parents don't even speak english so they want to see how their kids are learning. Anyway we all want to make good impressions so I wore my suit (which is about a size and a half too big for me now) and I just give a lesson that I would do on any other day and I try to ignore the parents standing in the back. It was pretty good. The kids were great as usual and at one point impressed me with this game we usually play.
They learned some new vocabulary and we made actions for each word. The class would be divided into 3 teams and one person from each team comes up to the front. I say a word and the first person to do the correct action wins a point for their team. At the show lesson we did the same game but a harder version of it. I mouthed the word and they had to read my lips and then do the correct action. I made it a point of saying that this was harder than before and Lily translated accordingly for the students and of course for the benefit of the parents.
One of my kids did the action for a word before I even completed saying it. This was very impressive and I'm sure the parent of that kid was very proud.
Anyway, all in all that was a good day.
Some of you may remember a couple months back we all went bowling and I met Damon's friend Sophia. Very nice girl, took a shining to me for some reason. This was the same night that Patrick fell and subsequently went on crutches. Well on Monday night we got a surprise visit from Damon and Sophia. Sophia was very happy to see me. Then (with the assistance of Damon translating) she was telling me that she really enjoyed spending time with me. She wanted me to come to her house and I was welcome to spend the night if I wanted. She kept kissing me on the cheek and then she called me jay jay (<--- spelling is wrong but that is the pronunciation) which means big sister in chinese then she said that she wanted me to call her may may (once again spelling is wrong) which means little sister in chinese. So I gave her my number and extension here at the frat house and she gave me her cell number. I think her and I will spend quite a bit of time together. When I get a replacement chinese english dictionary, communication would be better for both of us but until then we have to sorta fudge through. She knows just as much english as I know chinese, which isn't alot. Sometimes I just undertsand when she speaks and sometimes she understands me when I speak but for the most part we just gesture to get our points across. I think we'll have to teach each other.
Anyway I will be sure to keep you up to date on that and any other adventures. She said that she would take me to a Thai restaurant and I absolutely love Thai food.
So that's the dilio.............
TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home