Monday, October 17, 2005

Yet another week

Well, I went to work and forced my voice and now I'm worse than before. My voice is completely gone and I'm yet again put in the annoying position of not being able to teach. I had to not attend my last class yesterday and I wasn't really present for the classes earlier in the day either. I got there at the begining, told the kids that I was going to finish marking their tests (which I did) and that I would be back before class to hand them out. Lily was going to go over the lesson we already covered. So that worked out nicely but then as the day went on, I had less and less of a voice and it became a greater effort to get the few sounds I could make come out.
So now, much to my frustration, I have to take this entire week off. My problem the last time was, that as soon as my voice got better, I pushed it too far and I went right back into it. I should have just taken it easy and go back to work on the Monday as I originally planned.
So after I left that class I went home and decided that I had had enough and went to the pharmacy. I don't really like taking pills and there isn't very much that can be done for laryngitis but I was determined to find something. When I got there I was hoping I would see some brands that I know from home but no such luck. Every single item on the shelves were local chinese brands and are ofcourse all written in chinese. Now as some of you may know, I'm a firm believer in the international language of gestures. Even though I have my chinese-english dictionary, I still can't formulate the sentence "Hi there, I have laryngitis and need some medication for my throat". So I did the next best thing, I tried to talk which ended up being just a few squeaks and pointed at my throat. She knew exactly what I needed. She was explaining one drug to me, where I only understood bits and pieces of what she said. I tried to explain that I didn't want that. Then she showed me something else. The package had leaves on it, so I assumed that it was herbal (which I would prefer to take) but at the same time I was still unsure. I know how to say 'I don't know' in chinese and I said that but the look on her face was reassuring. As if to say, 'don't worry, this would be good'. So I bought that. Then when I got home I realized that I had no clue how to take this. Luckily, one of my housemates here, reads and speaks chinese so I got him to translate. So I'm doing pretty good and he even said that I made a good choice in the medication because it should help me. So I will be staying home this week (don't expect too many updates) and I will be taking my medication. Hopefully I will feel better, but regardless of whether or not I get my voice back by the end of the week, I will not go back to work until Monday.
So that's the story......

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home