Monday, October 10, 2005

I don't like to disappoint

Well, like I said this week was going to be interesting.

As some of you may have read, on my trip to Shanghai, I caught a cold. Well by the time I came back it was all but gone, however there was still a little linger of the sniffles and the occasional cough. Well now that little sniffle and occasional cough has turned into a throat infection and I have a mild case of laryngitis. I officially lost my voice while teaching a class yesterday. On Sunday, my throat felt a little raspy and by the time the evening came, my voice was in and out but it just seemed like I had a bit a phlegm in my throat. I was going a little hoarse but I figured after a good night's sleep I should be fine. Deep down inside I knew I was in trouble. Anyway, I woke up yesterday morning and the raspiness was still there but once again, I though I was fine.
I sat at my desk and corrected some assigned homework in my spare period and then the bell rang and I went to class.
Everytime my students see me in the halls, they have to yell to get my attention and jump up and down with giddy hellos. I don't mind the hellos but the screaming and yelling is not necessary. So when class started I told them just that, and as I was talking, my throat started to feel sore and I can feel the raspiness coming back even more. 10 minutes into the class, I told my assistant that I wasn't sure if I would be able to teach the afternoon classes. Halfway though the class my voice left me and I had to go.
I went to Mr Ye and told him I had a problem. He wanted me to go to the hospital but I have had this happen before and there isn't much that can be done. I just have to let my throat rest and try not to talk for the next couple days or so. My students looked so sad when I left but I can't teach them how to say and pronounce anything when I can't say the words myslef.
I guess this works out nicely. I was concerned about how long this week was going to be and now I have a couple of days off.
Now........
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm Canadian. Nuff said.
Yesterday, all my fellow frat housers went out to celebrate thanksgiving. Of course we couldn't have your traditional meal but we made do. I had thanksgiving pizza with thanksgiving beer and a thanksgiving cosmopolitan. We had a blast. Well anything that involves drinking always equals a blast. The cast of characters included, Roy, Angela, Breanna, Damon, Annaick, Patrick and ofcourse, yours truly. We gave many a toast, laughed alot and took a few pics. I really like hanging out with everyone. Mind you, I wasn't able to have the full on fun time that I would usually have when I can speak, but I still had fun. My "friends" at the table were thankful for my silence. Patrick said he would speak for me and told everyone that I would be talking with my fists. I thought it was a good idea.
Anyway, so that's how it goes. I have emailed Mr Ye and told him I would be out for atleast 2-3 days. I have to see how my throat feels and really keep an eye on it. I don't want it to develop into anything worse or end up badly. I don't think it will, I should be fine but you never know in this country.
Well......................TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home