Monday, December 12, 2005

Happy days

Another good weekend.
On Friday we had a meeting to discuss the upcoming exams as well as to give us info on when we would be going on vacation etc. Also to discuss what is expected of us in the exams.
At lunch however, the school gave each teacher a bag of oranges. I'm guessing that they had a surplus and didn't know what to do with it, but each of us got a bag. And I'm not talking about a small bag, I'm talking about a big bag. The kind of big bag that would be delivered to your local grocery store. Maybe about 100 oranges or so. I don't think I will be able to eat them all but we'll see.
Then after school I went with Annaick to Carrefour, just to give her some company and ended up buying a few things. I was very surprised to see how much christmas stuff they had at Carrefour. It was like I walked into Wal-mart or something. I bought a Santa hat to wear on christmas day and some other things. Then it got late and we got hungry so we went to the restaurant for dinner.
On Saturday morning I woke up and just had to get out of the frat house. A couple days before, Annaick was telling me about this hill/mountain just at the university that you could climb and I decided to do that. I packed my bag with a bottle of water bundled up for the weather, stopped by a shop and got some egg bread to take with me and I was on my way.
I had my map in hand and Annaick told me the bus to take. It was easy to get to the university and all I had to do was walk in direction of the hill/mountain.
The climb wasn't too bad. Actually at one point, I was waking along a flat path and noticed that I could see people above me that were actually on the mountain itself. I wanted to get up there but saw no way how, until I came to a clearing and a path leading up. It was very steep but I was determined to make it. I climbed using full strength in my legs and my arms to keep my balance. It took alot of energy and effort because the path was very steep but I made it.
I walked along the now rocky path on the mountain itself and really had a nice climb.
After about an hour I climbed back down and headed home in a cab from the university. When I got home Brian said that he was going to make dinner and if I wanted I could come up. I'm always game for free food so I went up there for dinner, which was really well done. Then we hung out and chatted with a few beers.
After a couple hours I went to bed.
On Sunday moring I woke up and got ready to meet my new friend Jason at the pizza restaurant (Giano's - where we made the baozi) for an english corner. This is where chinese people, especially students, gather together and discuss things in english. This provides them the opportunity to practice and expand their english. It was great fun. I met even more people and we had areally great time.
After that was over, Jason and I went out for dinner (as he promised to take me to a good place for chao kao). This place was about a 15 minute walk from Giano's. It was pretty cold by the time evening settled in but the walk to the restaurant was sooooo worth it. I love chao kao to begin with and the place makes it very good. It tasted just like the amazing chao kao I got in Shanghai. We had a few other things then we just sat there and chatted and laughed. It was really good. Then it started to get a bit late and we decided to go home.
When I got home, I didn't know that my mother took the from of a 21 year old 6'3'' blond boy from Nova Scotia. I walk in the house and Matty sticks says "do you know how long I have been waiting for you young lady?"
I was like, "sorry mother. It won't happen again" He was joking of course but he kept teasing me that I was going on a date. I kept insisting that Jason and I were just friends. I'm really happy that I've made friends outside of the school and the frat house. It's just good to get out of that bubble.
So next Sunday I will be going back to the english corner and hanging out with my new friends.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home