Friday, May 27, 2005

Don't you just love details?

Ok here is the scoop since the last time I updated. Hope you are ready for a long read.
Well, I went to London, and that's London Ontario. Why do people automatically assume that when I say I'm going to London, I mean England? If I were going to London England I would say "Hey, I'm going to England for a few days" then the next question would be "Where?" then I would say London or where ever. All the years most of us have been living in Canada and you don't know that there is a London Ontario or you have to constantly be reminded. Is London so far off the map? Anyway, I ramble. So I spend a few days with my sister, which all and all was a good thing. I like to go out there because I get a change of scenery, and a lot of my sisters friends no me already so I'm not going as a stranger. PLus I've done the drive so many times already that I can practically do it in my sleep and have done so on occasion. From Brampton the trip is pretty short. Once it took me an hour and 10 mins. Anyway, while in London, I spent a lot of time watching movies and drinking. Sounds like fun. We did go out a couple times and that was pretty fun. Night life in London is a big thing. Clubs are cheap and either have no cover or the cover is less than 3 bucks. Drinks are pretty well priced as well. All in all the trip was well worth it.
Now, my sister is currently employed at the London Animal Care & Control Centre and I had the pleasure of visiting her at work. Just to get an idea of what she does and how it all works. Anyway, while there I saw this little guy. He's this grey tabby with an adorable face. Everytime I went there, he recognized me right away and was just so loveable. Well, I'm gonna have to get him now. So even though I probably should not have, I adopted him anyway. I didn't think I was ready for another pet since the loss of my last cat but sometimes a new pet finds you. I named him Thorn (to keep up with my plant theme - Daisy, Willow and now Thorn) and he is just to cute. He loves to be held which is great and he's a good looking guy. Willow was very upset when I brought him home but I have a feeling they will get along. He hasn't been agressive to her at all (which is one of the reasons why I adopted him, because he was so easy going) and I know eventually they'll be fine.
Currently I'm still up in the air on whether or not I should get a job as a bartender or a server just for temporary part time work. However when I look at my schedule, I would end up asking for so many days off. Every other week I'd be saying "yeah, I need those 2 days off because I have plans. Then this week I can't work in the evening. Then this weekend I need off" I mean you can't even do then when you are currently working at a job, much less to do that right after you get hired. They are hiring you for a job and you are telling them that you can't work certain days. Maybe one or 2 days but not weeks at a time. So I guess, I've answered my own question. No work for me till I get to China.
The reason why I would have been looking for a job is because I finally completed that bartending course and I also got my smart serve. I passed the bartending course with a 98% and got my official certificate. I passed the smart serve and am currently waiting for my card with my number and my lapel pin. (PS, if there is anyone you know who needs to hire a bartender for an event, I'm mostly available - yeah, I said it......mostly) The bartending class was fairly easy and fun but the test was a bit tricky. Also for the smart serve, I could have taken it online but I felt it was better to take the class, in the event that I had any questions and to ensure that I had a full understanding. This smart serve is a big deal and I'll explain why for those who may not be aware. Pharmacists and doctors have a licence to practice and dipense drugs. So do most bartenders. Legally, alcohol is sometimes treated as a drug. I am the pharmacist, and to properly and safely dispense this drug to you it is best that I have a licence to do so. That way I can recognize the signs of intoxication and know when it is best to cut you off. Now back to reality....it basically lets my employer know that I know what I'm doing when I'm serving people drinks. It makes me more marketable.
Hopefully I'll be getting an opportunity to shadow my instructor and be able to do some networking for other parties that way. I think that would be loads of fun.
Moving right along, to keep you updated. My mother and I made plans to go to New Orleans for a few days so I'll be leaving for that tomorrow. We're planning on driving down with a stop in Tennessee, so this will be fun. Now, I'll take the laptop with me but I'm not 100% on whether or not I'll get a signal while I'm down there. So if I do get a signal then I'll keep you posted regularly. If not, then I get you caught up when I get back. Either way be prepared for a long read again in about a week. So that's my little story for right now. Plus, I'll be taking the course in late June for the teaching and that's when things will really start to happen because after the course is complete, that's when I start looking for work in China. I hoping to get a contract that will start in September which will be ideal as it won't cut into my time at the Renn fest. But as usual I will keep you posted and I'm always looking for comments and notes. TTFN.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

Renn Fest? I thought that was cancelled!!

2:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home