Friday, April 29, 2005

Sorry......

Sorry it has been so long since I've updated my blog but computer problems coupled with a lack of motivation is a bad idea. Any way here is the scoop so far. Last week's bartending class was ok. I could have done with out but I'm actually getting quite good. I went to the liquor store and bought mickey's of as much stuff as I could get my hands on. I started to make drinks for practice and gave them to my mom. Well now I've turned my mom into and alcoholic. Every night she has asked me for cocktails. Now I have to tell her the bar is closed so that the alcohol can last longer. The class this week was really good. I had to suffer through a boring early afternoon but the morning was good because we got to practice making drinks. Alot of the drinks I was able to make with minimal prompting which is really good because it shows that I'm actually retaining info. My other classmates were impressed. What can I say I'm the man. Anyway, we then had a beer lecture and then the fun began. We had a shooter class where we were able to pay $5 for all we could drink.......real alcohol. I had about 6-7 shooters. That was great!!! I was a bit shaky on the way home but I was commuting so it was not too bad. Either way I'm having a lot of fun in that class. I'm going to be getting my smart serve next week so that will be better for getting a job. Also, I had some business cards made up so now I can feel cool and hand them out to people who probably already have my info. The main reason though why I got them done is because my instructor does a lot of bartending for private parties. She indicated that she would be willing to have people shadow here the next time she goes out provided you had your smart serve. She says that private parties is where the really money is. Alot of the times you are working in a set up where it is open bar and alot of people are huge tippers because they're happy to be drinking all night without having to pay for it so it's nothing for them to drop a $20 for a tip for the bartender. Also in these environments you'll find other people who are planning or having a party in the future and they need a bartender. So it's a great way to network. She was also telling me of an event that she did where she made $1000 in tips in the one night and she got to keep the booze. she got bottles and bottles of alcohol for free, plus the money she made in tips, plus what the event paid her and the tip the event gave her for her work. So as you can see, bartending can be quite lucrative and doesn't have to necessarily be limited to a bar, night club or restaurant. So that's my advice for now.
Moving right along, I've just purchased a laptop and will have full internet access etc, I should not have any problems keeping this blog up to date and trying my best to keep you entertained. So for now, Peace out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home