Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Long weekends a good weekends

Well my weekend wasn't too bad. On Friday, Klaver and I hung out around town. It was a pretty good evening. We got some roadside entertainment by a cab driver, a cop and a man wearing tight-ass pants that looked like the ones John Travolta wore in Saturday Night Fever. Then we went to a pub and had a few more. After that we headed back to my place and had even more. The next morning I paid for it but it was worth it. I spent most of the day on Saturday just hanging out. It was good to just relax and do nothing. Saturday night was pretty quiet. Not much happened and I was happy to keep it that way. Sunday was even better. I went to Carrefour and picked up a few things. The place was packed with all the holiday shoppers, so it was crazy. Klaver came with and I treated both him and I to some Starbucks. On Monday evening Klaver came over and we hung out a bit. Then I had to actually do some work. I could have done it earlier but I work better under pressure. I put together my lesson plans for the next week. Hopefully that'll keep Charles happy for the next little while.
Now Charles told me before that I was supposed to work with the Chinese teachers. We're supposed to work together in carrying out the lessons and they're supposed to help me with the kids. Today I had an issue. I walk into one of my classes and start talking to the teacher. Basically I was saying what I wanted to do in the class. She looked at me with a stunned expression on her face. The bitch doesn't speak English. Well how the f*ck am I supposed to explain the lesson to her, so that she can explain it to the kids, if she doesn't speak English? Anyway, she got the other teacher to come in and help out and explain. Basically when I talk to her I have to use small words and speak really slowly in order to have a class. What is her purpose? I could just as well do that with the kids. At the middle school, I was faced with an incredible surprise. I was told that my classes were changed and there was a class that was added. My regular classes weren't too bed. The new class was pretty interesting. They were some kids from a school in Henan province. When I entered the class they all applauded. I don't know what it was about but it felt nice to enter on applause. Anyway, I had no lesson plan and just decided to wing it. The only problem with that is that these kids could barely speak English. Their English was so incredibly poor and made it difficult to actually teach anything. I decided to make it a casual setting but again, the inability to speak English made things hard. Heck, they didn't even have English names. It was so bad that they asked me to speak to them in Chinese. Well I know a bit of Chinese but not enough to be able to teach a class. Besides, what is the point of speaking to them in Chinese anyways? How will they learn English if I speak to them in Chinese? Anyway, I made it clear to them that I would only use Chinese when absolutely necessary but for the most part I was going to speak in English. That's the only way they'll learn. Anyway, I came home and Klaver offered to cook dinner. It was pretty good. Just finished a while ago and was glad to have enjoyed it. We'll see how the rest of this week goes. I have to teach that class on Saturday and I'm still looking for extra work with another school. Will keep you posted.

TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home